Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My View on Perfectionism

hallo/hola!/helló!/¡hola!/hallå! readers!
Time is rather something that I have obnoxiously in excess currently due to the rather slow teaching speeds in college(standard intake for my second semester; I took the accelerated course for my first). Anyway, I had stumbled upon an interesting article on the Internet this evening on perfectionism and I had identified to it instantly.

What actually is perfectionism? Perfectionism is actually a belief that anything less than perfect is unacceptable, unsatisfactory. Perfectionism basically branches out into two main subsets, 'Normal Perfectionists' that basically obtain a great deal of pleasure from the labours of a painstaking effort and 'Neurotic Perfectionists' that are those who are unable to satisfy themselves no matter what they do.

I won't go into the details as they will almost certainly bore the living daylights out of you. I think that I am probably leaning slightly towards the neurotic side; which is rather scary and isn't something that I'm proud of. Due to the fact that I will always need to constantly double check so that everything that I do is close to perfection if not at all perfect; it is an extremely tiring, tedious and demanding routine. Everything that I do needs to be closely read, rechecked and rechecked again to ensure that everything is in order, to make sure there isn't a word out of place or a spelling error(which explains why I'm incredibly sensitive to criticisms). This in turn, causes me to be low on productivity as I lose time and energy on the tiny irrelevant details. I find crease on my sock extremely irritating and I abhor the sound of the ticking clock. I'm incredibly fearful of making mistakes which is why, I hardly ever write, or record my piano playing, etc. Perfectionism is indeed an incredibly unhealthy belief in my opinion, but it is not without its positive aspects. For instance, it'll definitely drive a person to achieve unimaginable goals.

Thanks for reading! =)

2 comments:

  1. Ya. Perfection good for piano performance le..That explains your almost note-perfect Paganini Variation..hehee..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learn to cut some slack. Life is a lot more fun that way. When you have made some mistakes- just make a funny face and laugh!!

    ReplyDelete